If you are not blessed with a huge bedroom and live in a home where every inch matters, you might have come across storage beds as a great solution if you lack the space.
A bed with storage space is a practical solution if shelving and wardrobe space is minimal, storage beds are great for family homes and stylish addition to any space.
Divan beds and ottoman beds are popular options to help keep clutter at bay and combine fashion with functionality. Both these innovative designs will allow you to create a bespoke sleeping and storage solution, but which one is right for you?
In this blog post, we aim to shed some light on the differences between divan beds and storage beds so you can make an informed decision and find your best match.
So, What Is a Divan Bed?
A divan bed is made up of two parts: a bespoke bed base and a matching mattress.
The bed base is crafted from a robust wooden frame beautifully dressed in a layer of soft wadding and then upholstered in fabric.
What Makes a Divan Bed Unique?
There are several reasons why you`ll love divan beds.
- Crafted from a wooden frame, a divan bed is highly durable, so it will stand the test of time and be your trusted friend for as long as you need it.
- A divan bed is extremely flexible as it offers the options to match the headboard to your chosen design, and it can also be easily changed if you choose to redecorate at a later stage.
- A great choice where space is at a premium, you can choose a divan bed without a headboard, an ideal solution for smaller bedrooms.
- You can entirely customise it to your liking, and you can choose from a wide range of luxurious fabric options to match your design style and colour palette.
- A divan bed is lightweight and can be easily moved around the house if you decide to change your bedroom layout.
- There are various mattress options to match it, making a compact look and creating clean and minimalistic aesthetics.
- This great space-saving solution as the actual bed will take less space than a separate bed frame of the same size. This is because the bed sits on top of the base as opposed to inside a frame. Even these few inches can make a notable difference in a small bedroom.
A divan bed’s main benefit will remain practical, generous, and versatile storage drawers in various configurations.
So if you have always dreamt of a clutter-free bedroom and effortless access to your storage, the integrated drawers are just perfect if you are looking to store your clothes, extra linen, and fluffy cushions separately.
And What About the Otto…Wait, What?
As scrolling through different storage bed options on the internet, you might encounter some confusing bed nicknames. Let`s take the example of the ottoman beds. Have you ever wondered why it is called an ottoman bed?
The ottoman was brought to Europe from the Ottoman Empire in the late 18th century and named after its place of origin.
As confusing as it may sound, an ottoman bed is just a bed where you can lift the base, and it reveals plentiful storage space underneath the mattress.
So…Why An Ottoman Bed
- Ottomans come in any style of your choice. From traditional wooden ottomans to contemporary upholstered ones, you are not short on options if you fall in love with an ottoman.
- If finding a bed that is as unique as you are is important to you, then you don’t need to look any further than ottoman beds. Available in different fabric colours, from muted hues to earthy tones, it is easy to find your favourite shade of ottoman.
- An ottoman bed is something that you can enjoy for years to come as it is built to be sturdy.
- Easy access to the storage space due to the piston-assisted lift mechanism.
Will an Ottoman Bed Help Me Save Space?
We are so glad you asked!
Actually, one of the key benefits of an ottoman bed remains the amount of storage space you have underneath the mattress.
Because of its magic storage, an ottoman bed can offer you up to 40% more space in your bedroom than individual storage units, such as a chest of drawers.
Therefore, your bedroom will become much more than just a place to sleep, particularly useful if you are struggling with storage space in your home.
Which One Shall I Choose?
It all comes down to your priorities. Divan beds and ottomans are both practical under bed storage solutions. But there are some extra things to consider. The main differences lie in whether you want a headboard, how much storage you need, and how you access that storage.
If your bedroom is rather small, going ‘’headboard-less’’ can be a good choice if you are looking to enhance the feeling of space so that a divan bed base could work better. On the other hand, an ottoman bed uses the entire bed base as storage space, which can offer you up to 4 times more storage space than a divan base.
Considering what things you like to store under the bed is easy with a gas-powered lifting mechanism. This will raise the mattress every time you need to access the storage compartment beneath. Therefore, an ottoman bed might be a great choice to store larger items you don’t need daily, while a small single divan bed can be a lot handier for smaller things that you need to have quick access to.
Before rushing into a decision, don`t forget to assess the space around you and ask yourself questions: Do you have space for pull-out drawers? Are you ready to ruin your bed styling every time you access the storage space? Do you have larger items to store out of sight or just smaller things you need to keep organized?
Storage beds can be a game-changer, and we love both of them equally.
So whatever your decision, the most important thing is to consider your circumstances, bedroom style and the things you need the most from your bed.